- Julie Kelly, Headmaster email@example.com
- Tom Hannah, Assistant Headmaster firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristi Wade, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
- Carla Perry, Administrative Assistant and IT Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristy Nolen, Bookkeeper email@example.com
- Debra Napier, Administrative Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Sue Nelson, Media Specialist email@example.com
- Jane Winters, Media Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie Cochran, Lunchroom Manager email@example.com
- Kathy Diggins, Lunchroom Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
- Misty Carmichael, Lunchroom Assistant
- Joey Davis, Custodian
Julie Kelly email@example.com
Julie Kelly has been the Headmaster of Bessemer Academy since 2006. Upon arrival at BA, her vision for continuous improvement began. She developed and implemented a Four Point Plan, which included raised expectations for achievement, strong discipline and safety, promoting active community involvement, and establishing a character education program for students. During her tenure, Bessemer Academy has introduced an honors program which now encompasses all core subjects and has grown to include over 50% of our students. She has overseen and provided technological advances, making more technology available to both teachers and students for better instruction and communication. The environment created by the teachers and administration under Mrs. Kelly has encouraged an increase in enrollment year after year.
In addition to her work at BA, Mrs. Kelly has served the last three years as the Headmaster’s Association President for the Alabama Independent School Association. In this role she has lead the organization in professional development and served as a mentor to new administrators across the state of Alabama.
Prior to Bessemer Academy, Mrs. Kelly spent 32 years working for Jefferson County, serving as a principal for 18 of those years. She attended the University of Montevallo and holds a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Physical Education and a Master’s in School Administration. She is an active member of North Highlands Baptist Church and she and her husband, Johnny, have five children and six (and counting) grandchildren.
Mrs. Kelly’s favorite aspect about Bessemer Academy is the Christian spirit, which she encourages in all of her students. Her motto is Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”