In order to be fully prepared for Accelerated Math 8, we require students entering 8th grade on the accelerated math pathway to complete some summer assignments. Students who chose the accelerated pathway will take Geometry in 9th grade, Algebra II in 10th grade, Precalculus in 11th grade, and finish their senior year with Calculus. This pathway has pros and cons. The biggest benefit is preparation for the ACT and college-level courses. However, not all students feel successful with the faster pace, and can be high-achieving honors students without the accelerated math pathway. Consider your student’s current and past math course grades, their standardized test scores, and their maturity level before opting into this pathway.
If you decide this is the right path for your student, they will need to complete the following summer work prior to their 8th grade year. Every other week, a new assignment will be posted on DeltaMath. Each assignment can be completed any time over the next two weeks (the due date is on the assignment), and it will have an instructional video to go along with it, as well as individual videos for many of the problems. Instructions for signing up for DeltaMath are below.
If you have specific questions that the videos don’t answer, feel free to email Miss Higgins any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assignment 1: Rates
- Opens June 1
- Due June 11
- Assignment 2: Linear relationships
- Opens June 14
- Due June 25
- Assignment 3: Number systems
- Opens June 28
- Due July 9
- Assignment 4: Functions
- Opens July 12
- Due July 23
- Assignment 5: Geometry
- Opens July 26
- Due August 3 (Tuesday)
Sign up to view and complete assignments
- Go to www.deltamath.com and click “For Students” then “Create Account.” Most students choose to log in with their Google accounts.
- Enter the teacher access code: 771549 (once you type this in, you should see “Teacher Name: Miss Higgins.”)
- In the box marked “Select Classes,” scroll to the bottom and select “Summer – Math 8 Accelerated.”
- Fill in the rest of your login information to create your account.
- After June 1, you should be able to log in and see your first posted assignment.